If you have been injured in a car accident that wasn’t your fault, you may be entitled to make a road traffic accident claim. Road traffic claims can be made for all types of road injuries; including whiplash injury, seatbelt injury, airbag injury, and child restraints injury and protects all users of the road including drivers, cyclists, bikers, passengers, and pedestrians.
There are numerous causes of road accidents. However, being able to proving liability against the other party will put you in a great position to win a personal injury claim.
The Following Are Some Common Causes of Road Traffic Accidents in Ireland:
• Poor roads – Roads that are in poor condition can often lead to accidents on the road. Damaged road signs and potholes are the most common causes of injury.
• Bad weather conditions – Periods of heavy rainfall, snow, and icy roads often cause an increase in the occurrence of road traffic accidents. Obstructed vision and slippery roads can often be the cause of people losing control of their vehicle
• Carelessness – Car accidents caused by poor driving habits. Eating, drinking or using a mobile phone while driving are common causes of road traffic accidents. Among these drink driving is another common cause of car accidents in Ireland.
If you are unfortunate enough to be involved in a car accident and are thinking about making a personal injury claim, there are a few things you can do which will maximize your chances of success.
• Take note of the other party’s vehicle’s information like, License plate number and insurance details.
• Take photos of the incident. This helps the road accident claim by showing exactly where the accident occured, the level of damage from the accident and other visual information which may be relevant.
• Call the Gardai to come and investigate the scene if any conflict is likely to occur.
• Do not discuss the incident or claim liability for the incident without first talking to a personal injury lawyer. Details may emerge later that are relevant to the case.
• Visit a doctor or medical centre as quickly as you can and keep a record of your injuries. This is essential for making a personal injury claim.
• Inform your insurance company about the incident as soon as possible.
Gathering information and establishing proof of your injuries is vital in making a successful Car Accident Claim. Immediately after the incident contact the police, take note of some vital information, call your insurance company, and go for a medical checkup to get a diagnosis from your doctor.
It is advisable to contact an experienced personal injury lawyer to help you through the claim process with the Personal Injury Assessment Board (PIAB), to maximize your chances of making a successful claim.